What is Universe3D.org?
The intention of Universe3D.org is to host links to web content that enable the enhancement of our three-dimensional view of the Universe. Feel free to join in and edit--Wikipedia-style!
Recently added Dataset
Methanol MultiBeam Survey
The Methanol MultiBeam Survey is a sensitive survey of massive young stars in the Milky Way Galaxy to detect methanol masers. The survey is carried out by scanning the telescope in galactic longitude. Spectra cover a 4-MHz band, corresponding to a velocity range of 180 km/s, with 2048 channels each separated by 0.09 km/s. Regions towards the galactic centre are scanned more than once with different velocity settings, so that all likely radial velocities are searched. A second frequency band centred on the 6035-MHz line of hydroxyl (OH) is observed in parallel with the methanol band.
- Pluto’s interaction with the solar wind is unique, study finds
- Researchers thought that Pluto was characterized more like a comet, which has a large region of gentle slowing of the solar wind, as opposed to the abrupt diversion solar wind encounters at a planet like Mars or Venus, but instead Pluto is a hybrid.
- Thu, 05 May 2016 01:00:00 GMT
- Scientists Spot Strange Sunspots Around Nearby Star
- By using multiple telescopes, they were able to get one of the best maps ever of a star other than the sun.
- Wed, 04 May 2016 10:00:00 GMT
- Ancient Volcanos Point to Extensive Ice on Mars
- Volcanoes erupted beneath an ice sheet on Mars billions of years ago, far from any ice sheet on the Red Planet today, new evidence from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter suggests.
The research about these volcanoes helps show there was extensive ice on ancient Mars. It also adds information about an environment combining heat and moisture, which could have provided favorable conditions for microbial life.
Sheridan Ackiss of Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, and collaborators used the
- Tue, 03 May 2016 10:00:00 GMT
Survey Coverage of the Milky Way
A hyperlinked visual summary (pdf) of all ongoing relevant surveys, prepared in conjunction with the NSF proposal, The Hierarchical Structure of Star-Forming Regions in the Milky Way.